About Me

My photo
El Paso, TX, United States
Still Wondering What's Next? Anything at Anytime (I) has/have had a rough start to the year. Sorry for the delays in Posts and I Promise to do better. No Excuses as Life Must GO ON! So Keep an Eye Open... Oh, if you would like to follow on Twitter I am @DanWins2007.

Pageviews over Time

Search This Blog & Blogs I follow

Monday, June 21, 2010

THE PERFECT GAME or An Awesome Wrap Up and Addendum to My Father's Day!

Baseball and Biscuits?  

I know, but read on and you will see!







After all I wrote in My Father's Day (FANTASTIC!!) and some WOWs to boot my Daughters put an Ultimate Topping to the day.  (Reading Biscuits-N-Gravy before hand will also give you an insight pertaining to today's post.) 

They, my wife and girls, have all been reading my blog and on a few occasions making comments and letting me and you know what they are thinking about my writing.  Well, one of the post they read was Biscuits-N-Gravy and Love and apparently it stuck in their (my daughters) heads. 

Yesterday, as part of my day, my wife and girls went out for a bit to do some grocery shopping and to give Dad Peace in the house while he was watching his World Cup on the Big TV.  I tend to let them all watch on the Big TV because I know they are all not "into" what Dad is "into".  So I figured this was their way of letting me get a chance to watch "My stuff" on the Big Screen.

Boy, was I WRONG!

Sometimes my wife or myself will throw hints at them about what the other might appreciate.  Not this time, my daughters came up with this idea on their own. 
From time to time as you read what I write you will see Sports Analogies.  So...............
What my daughters did was pitch THE PERFECT GAME!!!!!!!!!

Perfect Game = No hits, No Walks, No Errors

THE PERFECT GAME = 81 pitches -  3 up 3 down 3 pitches ONLY for each batter faced for 9 innings = 81 pitches. Recording 27 strike outs or Ks in the Baseball world.  (If this were Football season I would come up with a Football analogy)

So again, my daughters pitched THE PERFECT GAME ending to a Fantastic Father's Day. 

Now by this time you are probably wondering what or how they could have done that.  Am I right?
Well, if I have done my job writing this, of course you are.


THE PERFECT GAME an Awesome Wrap Up

What Dad did not know was that his girls had talked his wife into going to the store to buy very specific ingredients. 
Because we are not the richest people in the world financially, and they know it, they were wondering what they could get or do for Dad that would be something SPECIAL.  One of them, I don't know which and will never ask, came up with the idea to fix Dad Biscuits-N-Gravy like his Grandma did. 

* Strike outs 1-9 *

They made a minor switch as they fixed this for dinner not breakfast.  Fine by me as Biscuits-N-Gravy are good at anytime of day. 

When it was about dinner time, I (still being clueless as to what was planned) was told I could not go into the kitchen and if I needed something I was to call out for it and someone would get it for me.  So their kitchen adventure began (maybe someday I can get one or both of them to write about that experience for all of us here).  One fixing one part and the other of course fixing the other part with a few comments and muttering about not having enough room to move around in a kitchen (problem with more than one cook in the kitchen).

The fixing, prepping, and cooking all done, I was called into the kitchen to get my Dinner/Father's Day Coup-de-grace. 

I had hints by the smells that were wafting around the house what was coming but sometimes you just can't be sure until you see in order to believe.  As I walked into the kitchen I see a Plate full of Biscuits-N-Gravy being held by two young women (faces beaming) and "Happy Father's Day" written on their faces (and the kitchen, lol).

*Strike outs 10-18*

Eating it was a Dream!  This was the First time they have ever fixed it and it was Perfect!  The flavor was a touch different than Grandma's, but how often can those of us that cook make something taste just like what we tasted even when we use the recipe (it isn't happening, close but not; know what I mean?).  For a Finish to a Great Father's Day,  This was Truly Grade A!

*Strike outs 19-26*    (I know, I left one out!)

The Best part of the whole thing...............  They got just the Perfect touch of the most special Ingredient.......LOVE. 

*Strike out 27*         THE PERFECT GAME!!!!!


Addendum:  A request was made on Biscuits-N-Gravy and in one of the Google forums from a friend Across the Pond for the Recipe.  So, Evertsen, here it is but please don't for get the most important ingredient........ Love when you fix it.

Biscuits-N-Gravy:

 Gravy:



1/2 lb. bulk breakfast pork sausage, crumbled in medium and small sized bits

2 tbsp. chopped onion    *note* *the girls and Grandma didn't use*

3 tbsp. flour

2 c. hot milk

salt and pepper to taste



Preheat oven to 500°F.



Cook sausage and onion in skillet until sausage is done and onion is clear. Remove sausage and onion. Drain

off all grease except for 2 tablespoons (or to personal taste). Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly,

until medium brown in color. Add hot milk, stirring constantly, and cook until thick. Stir in sausage and

onion. Taste gravy and season with salt and pepper (tasting until you get it to your liking).





Biscuits:

*girls used the Bisquick ready mix*
(if you do not have that available in your area follow this recipe)

1 c. plus 2 tbsp. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. Crisco shortening

1/2 c. buttermilk

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1 tbsp. shortening (for skillet)



Mix dry ingredients. Using a fork or pastry blender, blend in 2 tablespoons shortening until mixture is grainy.

Using a fork, stir in buttermilk just until the dough is sticky. 

Do not over mix.

Place dough on a floured board (surface) and knead a few times. Pat or roll out the dough to about

1/2-inch thick. Cut with a floured biscuit cutter or glass dipped in flour.


Using a cast-iron skillet (if you have one), melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet.

Take each piece of biscuit dough and place in skillet and turn over so both sides are

coated with the melted shortening.



Bake in 500°F oven for about 10 minutes (until nicely

browned).

3 comments:

  1. A great post, Dan. I don't think the biscuits are available over here so i'll have to make 'em from your recipe. Once done, i'll return with my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the recipe Danny Boy.

    And I am glad you had such a great Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evertsen,
    Hope you have had a chance to try out the recipe and liked it? Awaiting your report on what you thought, and if you shared it with others.
    If they like it, tell them an extended Yank Cousin gave it to you and give them my site addy.

    If they don't like it, well tell them some bum from the US talked you into trying it and leave it at that.

    Amber,
    Living in South Carolina you should have plenty of variations on how to fix Biscuits-N-Gravy. However that being said most people leave out that very last but most vital of ingredients Love.

    ReplyDelete

I have made a change and removed the word verification and your comments will go right up; HOWEVER, if I think it will "OFFEND" my other readers it will be removed.

Blogs I Follow

Blog Rankings

Lifestyle Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blog Top Sites