About Me

My photo
El Paso, TX, United States
Still Wondering What's Next? Anything at Anytime (I) has/have had a rough start to the year. Sorry for the delays in Posts and I Promise to do better. No Excuses as Life Must GO ON! So Keep an Eye Open... Oh, if you would like to follow on Twitter I am @DanWins2007.

Pageviews over Time

Search This Blog & Blogs I follow

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day - Thank You ALL!




Awesome Picture!
A Then and Now of the Birth of
the US Army Air Corp
and the now US Air Force
As most of you know or have Guessed -  Anything at Anytime has a Thing for Veterans.  Since I am a Vet, my brother, my Father, my Father-in-Law, my Grandfather...... Well, I am sure you get the idea.  Serving Our Great Nation has been an Honor and priveledge for generations.


If you were to listen to what my Mother says after all of her genealogy research - we have had someone in the family in the militaries (some not American) back to the 1600s.

Hmmmm, Where did
He say this went?

Preparing for Today's Post - I did a little research and found a few things out.
Damn, "Learn something New Everyday" is a true statement.

I was and am going to get a little into the Colors of Our Nations Flag.  A little education first as this is where I learned something.

My research first to me to US Flag.org - that is where I learned that when the US Flag was first adopted in 1777 that the colors at the time had No meaning -  Not that those Colors did not Mean something to those designing the Flag, but the colors had No recognized meaning.

The recognized meaning of the Colors was assigned to the Great American Seal.

For more information on the Seal click here.


Today is not the day for a Class on American History and Symbology so I will not attempt to go into all of it.  Needless to say if you like history - it is interesting to read up on some of these things and how they came about.
If you read the small print 30,000 soldiers took part in this.
Taken at Fort Custar 1918


The Colors were assigned to the Shield the Eagle holds.

The Stars  - Represent the Original 13 Colonies
               They signify the Heavens and the Devine Goal Man Aspires to

The Red    - signifies Hardiness and Valor

The White  - signifies Purity and Innocence

The Blue     - signifies Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice






All things as We should aspire to - Not just as a Nation but as PEOPLE!

A few Pictures of Various Services then a bit more reading at the end.


USS Sierra AD-18
I served on board
88-92
An Avenger
What I was trained for and did
when in the Army.












My Brother does other things
for the Coast Guard now
However, He was a Rescue Pilot for awhile.

Part of a Fleet at Sea in Formation
Notice bottom center - Aircraft from the Carrier Flying before the Fleet.

Only one of the Most Famous Moments
in US Marine Corps History.
My Great Uncle Served on Her and trained
many New Hands to the Coast Guard Fleet












Check out her Friends Below



I'm not going to apologize for the Angels.  I just thought they fit, in so many ways.  I found them on a Church Website and Felt they were a Fantastic Statement and Contrast to an Idiot that Pickets Military Funerals.









From then to Now ----- My Thanks and Deepest Respect to all Veterans, Active Duty and Those just now Volunteering for the Services.


If you know of Any Veterans you would like to Mention and or Thank -  Please - Leave a comment with their name, Service and years in (if known) or ERA they served so others might be able to say "Thanks" as well.

My List is Long so I will keep it to just a few on this page.  If you would like to see more of my list (and I know I am missing a Ton of Names) please visit my earlier post for the Memorial Day Dedication.

The Short List -

My Father - Dan Winfield - US Army -1966 -197? Vietnam Era

My Grandfather - Neal Winfield (Deceased) - US Army - World War II / POW

My Father-in-Law - H. Franklin Mains - US Army - Korea

My Brother - Donald L. Winfield - US Coast Guard - 1992 - Present

Again, This is the "SHORT" list -- check out the Memorial Day Dedication and if your name is not here or there - I may not Remember the Names but You ALL are Not Forgotten on this Day of THANKS!


15 comments:

  1. Super blog son ... I really enjoyed it ... the angels were VERY appropriate ... as (you) can attest angels played a big role in moments of crisis.
    Danny Neal Winfield, Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To each member of my family who have served and to all of the generations before us ... THANK YOU ... to ALL of the Servicemen, their families and ALL of those who support them! THANK YOU for our FREEDOM.
    Vicky L. (Williams) Winfield

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to all of those who have or are now serving their country...God bless..especially my hero..Jasper Carroll US Army

    ReplyDelete
  4. ‎"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with lots of pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and... justice in the councils of the nations." -- Woodrow Wilson, November 11, 1919

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous Posted this on the Memorial Day Dedication today and I feel it also goes here as well. If this was the intention I caught it and got it posted for you.

    Anonymous Said -- Bill Goodwin - US Marines ... VietNam era (living)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little bird told me you were busy not only writing your blog but calling verterans who do not use the internet to tahnk them. Every year you spend veterans day thanking all the vets you know but we never give you a special thanks. You also served your country proudly and still would defend her today if you had to.
    Thank you very much for the great example you have given the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Danny,

    Great blog! I didn't serve as anything other than a military brat, but I do want to recognize the men that have served in my family.

    I have a couple names for you to add...

    GySgt David Smith - USMC from 1966 to 1990 - Vietnam Veteran

    Allen Smith - Navy SeaBees

    Nate Smith - US Army 101st Airborne - Served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan

    ReplyDelete
  8. "At the going down of the sun, and in the morning.
    We will remember them. Lest We Forget"
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Friend an Fellow Veteran/Active Duty that I Served with Onboard the USS Sierra AD-18 - "Zee" as we all called her, stopped in and left this and it ended up on the Memorial Day Dedication. I am moving it here as I know she would want it here as well.

    Teri said -- All Sailors that I served with onboard the USS Sierra (AD 18), USS Shenandoah (AD 44), USS Essex (LHD 2), USS Belleau Wood (LHA 3), USS Philippine Sea (CG 58). To the Sailors, Marines and civilians with whom I served with at NSSF New London, Commander Navy Region Northeast and Marine Corps Security Force Battalion Kings Bay. All of you are True American Heros.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your service and for your tribute. We have much to be proud of in our military.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your sacrifice & service Danny, Danny Sr and Donald!!! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This anonymous got it posted on the Memorial Day Dedication as well.

    This Anonymous just so happens to be my Father so --

    Anonymous said.....

    Floyd Winfield - WWII ... US Navy Bobby Winfield - VietNam era ... US Army Irey Dalton Cobb - VietNam era added by Danny N. Winfield, Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Danny Boy.

    I know too many veterans to list here, so I just want to say thank you to all of them I know and all of the others I don't.

    THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog post - Just to add my thoughts , if your company was looking for a a form , my company encountered a fillable version here http://pdf.ac/4JzyK4.

    ReplyDelete

I have made a change and removed the word verification and your comments will go right up; HOWEVER, if I think it will "OFFEND" my other readers it will be removed.

Blogs I Follow

Blog Rankings

Lifestyle Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blog Top Sites